A Brief History of Union Baptist Church of Hartford
“A Past to Cherish…A Future to Fulfill” was the theme that sparked the flame of the December 12, 1999 celebration of the One Hundred Twenty-eighth anniversary of Union Baptist Church of Hartford. This anniversary was especially significant because it was our final anniversary celebration of the 20th century. The anniversary was also significant because it pointed the way to our vision of developing new ministries to meet the challenges of the new millennium.
Our history began a few years after freedom was declared in the Emancipation Proclamation, when a group of people from Essex County, Virginia migrated to Hartford. The Christians among them met in each others’ homes for prayer, Bible study, worship and fellowship. By 1871 they had outgrown the homes where they met, and decided to find a public place of worship.
A railroad boxcar on Spruce Street, Hartford, CT, became their tabernacle for praise, worship, and fellowship. Members would walk to church, even at night, from as far away as Wethersfield, CT. Since then, the congregation has had several homes, including sites at: Albany Avenue and East Street; Wooster Street; and the 1908 construction of a handsome brick structure at 31 Mather Street. The Mather Street location served our needs until 1925 when the congregation purchased our present home at 1921 Main Street.
- Next >>